What makes a great teacher - The Students Guide - 10 Top Tips!
Updated: Oct 7, 2022
A great teacher is one a student remembers and cherishes forever. Teachers have long-lasting impacts on the lives of their students, and the greatest teachers inspire students toward greatness. To be successful, a great teacher must have:
1. An Engaging Personality and Teaching Style A great teacher is very engaging and holds the attention of students in all discussions.
2. Clear Objectives for Lessons A great teacher establishes clear objectives for each lesson and works to meet those specific objectives during each class session.
3. Effective Discipline Skills A great teacher has effective discipline skills and can promote positive behaviours and change in the class environment.
4. Good Class Management Skills A great teacher has good class management skills and can ensure good student behaviour, effective study and work habits, and an overall sense of respect in the class.
5. Good Communication with students and peers A great teacher maintains open communication with students and keeps them informed of what is going on as far as syllabus, health & safety, and other issues. They make themselves available for feedback.
6. High Expectations A great teacher has high expectations of their students and encourages everyone to always work towards achieving their best potential.
7. Knowledge of Syllabus and Standards A great teacher has thorough knowledge of the dance syllabus levels and other standards & legislations relating to dance, they must ensure their teaching meets those standards.
8. Knowledge of Subject Matter A great teacher has incredible knowledge of and enthusiasm for the subject matter they are teaching. They are prepared to answer questions and keep the material interesting for the students.
9. Passion for Teaching A great teacher is passionate about teaching and working with their students. They are excited about influencing students' lives and understand the impact they have.
10. Strong Rapport with Students A great teacher develops a strong rapport with students and establishes trusting relationships.